* This text has been written based on scientific articles and information from health authorities, hospitals, and health experts. For better guidance on the consumption of any substance, consult a doctor or nutritionist.
The Coenzyme Q10 It is a substance that is naturally present in our bodies. In Brazil, it is sold as a dietary supplement and can be prescribed by doctors in some specific cases.
This molecule, called ubiquinone, supports the function of enzymes involved in the process of cellular respiration and is recommended for a range of diseases. Find out what the myth is and what is true in this article.
What is coenzyme Q10?
Coenzyme Q10 is sold as a dietary supplement in BrazilSource: Shutterstock
It is found in all animals and many bacteria Coenzyme Q10 Participates in the process of cellular respiration, in which energy is produced for the body to perform its functions. It is present in all of our cells, especially the cells of the heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas. In most people, the body is able to produce enough of it.
Despite this, it is also obtained through food, especially in the consumption of meat and seafood. Evidence suggests that a deficiency in the substance can lead to problems in the blood vessels and the brain.
There are two situations in which the patient must look for external sources of the substance: excessive expenditure on nutrients by the body or deficiency of a molecule. The first case can be due to certain health problems.
Ubiquinone is only prescribed to people who are deficient in the substance.Source: Shutterstock
The second occurs as a result of genetic conditions. There are more than 10 genes that regulate ubiquinone biosynthesis in the body, and changes to them can lead to adverse health conditions that require nutritional supplementation.
For this reason there are supplements for this substance. Usually consumption çCoenzyme Q10 It does not lead to any side effects. In a few cases, gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea or vomiting have been observed.
Can CoQ10 be used for other diseases?
It’s common to hear that ubiquinone also has the ability to improve symptoms in patients with conditions such as heart failure, high blood pressure, gum disease, Parkinson’s disease, blood infections, muscle disease, and infection. human immunodeficiency virus.
To date, however, none of these uses have been confirmed by scientific evidence and have not been approved by general health product regulatory agencies, such as the National Health Watchdog Agency (Anvisa) or the Food and Drug Administration in the United States.
In laboratories around the world, many research findings show that çCoenzyme Q10 It is primarily a promising substance for improving cardiovascular health and fertility problems.
Some foods are natural sources of Q10Source: Shutterstock
These therapeutic effects are related to the molecule’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capacity. Recent studies have shown that it has the potential to improve patient health in many cases:
- Cardiovascular disease Due to diabetes: use led to a decrease in adverse events;
- fertility: Reduces oxidation of gametes.
- muscle health And the physical conditions: improves energy availability and cellular respiratory efficiency;
- fade away From multiple systems: çCoenzyme Q10 It is a biomarker that can help identify disease;
- immune disorders: Promotes the reduction of inflammatory substances and improves cellular health;
- Neuropathies: Enhances the protection of neurons.
- damage it UV: Accelerates skin recovery.
- Congestive heart: improves patient recovery.
- Insulin resistance: helps to enhance the body’s sensitivity to the substance by eliminating oxidants from mitochondria;
- Fibromyalgia: Lessens the pain;
- high cholesterol familiar and Arteriosclerosis: It improves the condition of patients.
Benefits of çCoenzyme Q10 There are a lot of them, and they have few side effects to using them, which makes them an ideal candidate for new treatments. Despite this, this supplement is not used as a drug in any of these cases.
This is because the bioavailability of the substance is very low. This means that when ingested, ubiquinone is absorbed by the intestines little by little. This absorption rate is too low to affect the body.
Therefore, although all of the above effects were enhanced in laboratory research, çCoenzyme Q10 It may not be effective in real cases. But scientific research is ongoing, and as technology advances we may find new ways to improve this powerful drug.
The Coenzyme Q10 It is a naturally occurring substance: it is present in all of our cells. However, some people may experience their disability due to certain health conditions.
Scientific studies show that this molecule can be more beneficial and used in other clinical situations. Our ability to assimilate it remains an obstacle to these applications, but it must soon be resolved by scientific progress.