A cerebrovascular accident (CVA) is caused by problems with blood circulation in the brain. In most cases, symptoms appear suddenly without warning.
Today, stroke is one of the most common causes of death in Brazil. According to a survey conducted by the Brazilian Society of Neurosurgery (SBN), 35,127 people in Brazil died of stroke in the first four months of 2022. But immediate treatment can save the patient’s life, as well as avoid the most serious consequences.
There are two types of stroke: one characterized by an interruption of blood flow (ischemic) and the other by a ruptured blood vessel (hemorrhagic). In both cases, if a person has the first symptoms, he should urgently seek medical help.
A blockage in a blood vessel in the brain leads to a lack of necessary oxygen in part of the organ. It is precisely when the irrigation of the vessel is stopped, the patient begins to show symptoms. At that moment, he should look for a doctor,” explains Dr. Daniel Abboud, coordinator of the Interventional Neuroradiology Service at Hospital 9 de Golho, in São Paulo.
Habits to avoid stroke
The factors that lead to stroke are directly related to circulatory problems. To avoid the accident, it is important to stay away from certain habits that increase the risk of developing the clots that cause the condition. Among them:
- Quit Smoking: Cigarette smoke contains nicotine and carbon monoxide. Factors that damage circulation and contribute to an increased risk of stroke.
- Control of high blood pressure: High blood pressure is the main risk factor for a stroke. People with a family history of the disease should seek medical evaluation and follow-up. When measuring blood pressure, the ideal is for the indicators to be close to 120 x 80 mmHg, the level commonly known as “12 x 8”. To reach this level, a healthy, balanced diet can be the answer.
- Maintaining a balanced weight: Excess weight is directly related to the risk of developing diseases of the circulatory system. According to Abboud, any weight loss has a positive effect on health.
- Healthy food: Diets rich in saturated fats and trans fats increase blood cholesterol levels. A poor diet leads to a buildup of fat in the arteries, which causes circulation problems.
While some of the factors causing the condition are preventable, increasing age, family history of the condition, and previous heart attacks increase the risk of developing the condition.
Among the signs that patients feel at the time of the accident may include:
- Loss of strength, numbness and paralysis of the face or even limbs on one side of the body.
- Vision loss, blurred vision, double vision, a feeling of seeing “shadows”.
- Difficulty speaking or understanding sentences.
- – Imbalance, dizziness, lack of motor coordination when walking, and sudden falls.
- Difficulty swallowing.
Get news from capital Cities on your Telegram and stay on top of everything! Just access the channel: https://t.me/metropolesurgente.
#Check #habits #adopt #avoid #stroke