Updated on 01/09/2023 16:02
- The World Handball Championship will take place from January 11 to 29, 2023.
- The tournament will take place in Poland and Sweden.
- German handball players have more chances to go under.
The team is young and quite inexperienced, but the goal is big for the DHB team: at the 2023 Handball World Cup, coach Alfred Gislason’s team wants to do better than in previous tournaments and remember previous successes, like the 2007 World Cup title, connect.
2023 World Cup schedule and groups
The Handball World Championship will take place from January 11 to 29, 2023. It will be held in Poland and Sweden. The games in Poland will take place in the cities of Krakow, Gdańsk, Katowice and Plock. In Sweden, matches are played in Stockholm, Malmö, Gothenburg, Kristianstad and Jönköping.
The opening match between France and Poland will take place in Katowice, the final in Stockholm.
The group stage will be played in eight groups of four teams from January 11-17. Only the last of the group are eliminated, the others play in four groups of six in the main round.
Groups look like this:
- Group A (Matches in Krakow): Spain, Montenegro, Chile, Iran
- Group B (Katowice): Poland, France, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia
- Group C (Gothenburg): Sweden, Brazil, Cape Verde, Uruguay
- Group D (Kristianstad): Portugal, Iceland, Hungary, South Korea
- Group E (Katowice): Germany, Qatar, Serbia, Algeria
- Group F (Krakow): Norway, Argentina, North Macedonia, Netherlands
- Group G (Jönköping): Egypt, Croatia, Morocco, USA
- Group H (Malmö): Denmark, Belgium, Bahrain, Tunisia
ARD, ZDF, Eurosport and Sportdeutschland.TV: Who broadcasts the matches of the Handball World Cup
Handball World Cup matches are broadcast on different channels:
ARD and ZDF broadcast all games with German participation on free TV and online in the stream. In the preliminary round, these are:
- Friday January 13, 6 p.m., Germany – Qatar on ZDF
- Sunday January 15, 6 p.m., Germany – Serbia on ARD
- Tuesday January 17, 6 p.m., Algeria – Germany on ZDF
The Eurosport channel broadcasts up to 15 matches without German participation – both semi-finals and the final would then be included if Germany were eliminated early. The games are also available to stream on Discovery+.
All matches are also broadcast on the streaming platforms sportdeutschland.tv and handball-deutschland.tv. The tournament pass costs 15 euros.
After the football world cup, it’s before the handball world cup. On January 11, the handball world championship will begin in Sweden and Poland. National coach Alfred Gislason announced his 18-man squad on December 23.
World champion Denmark and their pursuers: The favorites for the world title
Denmark’s reigning world champion with superstar Mikkel Hansen is one of the favorites for this year’s handball world championship, as is Olympic champion and record world champion France. The Swedes are European champions and can also legitimately hope for the title.
Traditionally, Norway and Spain are often at the forefront. The Icelanders might surprise with their huge quality in the squad, especially in the backcourt. During the dress rehearsal for the World Cup, Sunday January 8, the Icelanders however lost 31:33 against Germany.
Young, inexperienced – and hungry for victory? It’s like that with the German team
Many experienced internationals have quit, including Hendrik Pekeler, Patrick Wiencek and the currently injured Steffen Weinhold. Identifying figures and team leaders include goalkeeper Andreas Wolff, Philipp Weber and captain Johannes Golla. Five European champions from 2016 are part of the team (Andreas Wolff, Kai Häfner, Simon Ernst, Jannik Kohlbacher, Rune Dahmke). Coach Alfred Gislason assembled the rest of the squad from many young and rather inexperienced players.
After the disappointing performances of the 2021 World Cup (12th place) and the 2022 European Championship (7th place), the desire for a medal is great. “We are at a point where the goal must be to finally achieve another sporting success for Germany,” said captain Golla of the “Sportschau”. Nevertheless: A medal for the DHB selection would be a surprise at this tournament.
- Sportbild.de: Who broadcasts the matches of the Handball World Cup 2023 live on TV?
- Spox.com: Handball World Cup – DHB team begins preparation: ‘It’s time for a medal again’ (SID)
- NDR: The DHB team is getting ready for the Handball World Cup in Hanover
- Zdf.de: The DHB team relies on the “principle of hope”
- Kicker.de: Handball World Cup 2023: favorites, fashion, locations, TV
- Sportschau.de: Knorr, Köster and Co: This is the DHB Handball World Cup team
- sportdeutschland.tv: tournament pass
- eurosport.de: TV broadcasts
teaser image: © IMAGO/foto2press/Oliver Zimmermann
#Calendar #broadcasts #favorites #Handball #World #Cup